I use vanilla extract like it’s going out of style.
With all my baking explorations, I go through this stuff like crazy. And honestly, I never realized how easy it is to make yourself (and you know I love making everything from scratch). So naturally, I had to give this a try.
This is so simple to do. It’s also a great gift idea. For Christmas this past year I put together healthy chocolate chip cookies in a jar, with homemade flour, and homemade vanilla extract for a few of the ladies in my family, it was a hit.
- 8 vanilla beans
- 1 cup vodka or bourbon
- Slice the vanilla beans in half lengthwise. Use the tip of the knife to scrape out the seeds and transfer to a small saucepan.
- Cut the empty bean pods into 1-inch pieces and add them to the saucepan.
- Add the vodka or boron to the saucepan, cover and cook over medium-low heat until the mixture is steaming, about 2 minutes. (Do not open the lid while the pot is over the flame)
- Pour the mixture into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and let cool to room temperature. Cover with the lid and store in a dark place for at least 8 weeks. The longer, the fuller the flavor.
- Shake the jar gently once a week.
- When the extract is ready to use, line a fine-mesh strainer with 2 coffee filters to drain out vanilla pieces. Strain the vanilla through the filters, then pour vanilla extract into a bottle with a tight-fitting lid.
You may also like: