I’m always looking for low calorie dinner options that aren’t going to leave me still hungry when I’m done eating. And this, is it. Zucchini is my favorite vegetable, and especially in the summer, I have a tendency to make zucchini everything.. And then add in the lean ground turkey and it’s a protein packed dinner that will actually fill you up.
This recipe does take a little longer to prepare, so I tend to save it for the weekends or nights when I have more time. But it’s definitely worth a try when you have the time to make it.
I tend not to share too many dinner recipes because I feel like the things I make for dinner are often really simple and obvious. But it’s been brought to my attention by my lovely boyfriend, that my readers might really like some simple dinner recipes, things that are quick and easy for weeknights. So I’m working on a series of quick, easy, healthy dinner recipes to post, so keep your eyes out for them 🙂
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1½ tbsp grape seed oil
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey (99% fat free)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 tsp breadcrumbs of choice
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon scoop out flesh, leaving ¼” thick.
- Put water and ½ tbsp of oil in a baking dish.
- Arrange hollow zucchini in the baking dish.
- Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces, set aside.
- In a large saute pan, add 1 tbsp grape seed oil, onion and garlic. Cook on a medium-low flame until onions begin to brown.
- Add chopped zucchini and cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, season with paprika, basil and pepper.
- Cook turkey until white, breaking up in smaller pieces.
- Place turkey meat in a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- When cooled, add Parmesan cheese and egg whites, mix well.
- Fill hollowed zucchinis with stuffing, pressing firmly and top with bread crumbs and a little extra cheese if desired.
- Cover dish tightly with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and broil for 5 minutes.
You may also like: